Re: Modeling data...Linear or direct proportional

Dave Simmon asked:

.... My question is, what do I correctly call the relationship between

F and 'a' as graphed. Is just "linear" the right term to use? Is there

another name I should use?

I usually reserve the word "proportional" to y=m*x and use the word
"linear" when y=m*x+b. To make it more acceptable to all I also say
that "if doubling and tripling of x also doubles and triples y, then the

relation is proportional.

... The students get nice linear data which they graph and model in
the form y = mx + b. (F= mass x acceleration + friction). The
y-intercept is the cart's friction. ...