Re: Nearest Five

Your idea of breaking down the UK census into groups of 5 years
reminds me of a quip about a previous census of the UK which included
London, broken down by age and sex.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where the census is broken down in many other ways also)

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998 21:45:05 -0700 Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM> writes:
At 10:11 AM 11/22/98 -0500, Herb wrote:
|On Sat, 21 Nov 1998 17:04:33 -0700 Jim Green <JMGreen@SISNA.COM>
writes:
|>Isn't there a fancy way to say "round to the nearest five" or "ten"
|>something like "nearest decade" or is it "decile"? But what would
|>five be? Quintile????

|No.... five would be "half-decade" to avoid addition of unnecessary
|terminology.

Well, Herb, I don't think that that does it: decade, decile, etc
include
the points between the ends. I want to refer to the endpoints -- like
the
number next smaller (or larger) which is evenly divisible by five (or
ten
or what ever).

|Herb Gottlieb from New York City
|(Where we use significant figure conventions in our physics courses.
|These never require rounding out to the nearest quintile.)

This is very nice, but suppose the collection of numbers is composed
of
integers -- the idea of significant figures doesn't compute in this
case?
--- as in the UK 1841 census the age recorded was the next lower age
divisible evenly by five -- this is too much of a mouthful -- I was
hoping
that there was better language.

Jim Green
E-mail mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com