Re: A bumpy ride

On Sun, 22 Nov 1998, William J. Larson wrote:

why do bumps feel LESS bumpy when the car is traveling faster?<

Oops, I missed this claim. I disagree, otherwise why would speed =
bumps force people to slow down?

Try it; you'll find that the car doesn't bounce as much! The impulse is
less the faster you go. Speed bumps force us to slow down for the benefit
of the suspension and alignment of the car, not for the occupants.

Mervin Koehlinger
Physics Instructor
Concordia Lutheran High School
Fort Wayne, Indiana