Re: A bumpy ride

Re: "Do shock absorbers absorb quick vertical accelerations better than slow
ones?"

No

Re: "Is it the inertia of the car which doesn't let it bob up and down rapidly
(as in a seismograph?)"

Yes

Re: "Because of the theory of relativity, I suspect we respond physiologically
accelerations, rather than to velocity or distance. Is that correct, or
naive?"

Naive. Our bodies respond to accelerations rather than velocities because of
their inertia and Newton's 2nd law.

Re: "I am thinking of taking this question on the road -- literally-- using a
CBL with accelerometer to try to determine if there actually IS less
vertical acceleration at higher horizontal speed, or if this is somehow a
subjective phenomena."

Now THAT'S the true scientific spirit. Tell us how its comes out.

poj

Robert W. Harris wrote:

A student asked me why bumps feel less bumpy when the car is traveling at a
higher speed. Do shock absorbers absorb quick vertical accelerations better
than slow ones? Is it the inertia of the car which doesn't let it bob up
and down rapidly (as in a seismograph?)

Because of the theory of relativity, I suspect we respond physiologically to
accelerations, rather than to velocity or distance. Is that correct, or
naive?

I am thinking of taking this question on the road -- literally-- using a
CBL with accelerometer to try to determine if there actually IS less
vertical acceleration at higher horizontal speed, or if this is somehow a
subjective phenomena.

Any suggestions or comments would be appreciated.

Br. Robert W. Harris
Catholic Memorial High School
rwharris@cath-mem.org
http://www.cath-mem.org/cath-mem/physics/contents.htm