Re: More than you ever wanted to know. . . .

about biblical scholarship. (Well, you guys started it!)

Although a lot of amateur theologians have spent a great deal of effort
trying to find astronomical events correlating to those mentioned in the NT,
most serious scripture scholars believe that the events recounted in the
infancy narratives of MT and LK are not historical (the census, the star of
Bethlehem, the visit of the wise ones, the massacre of the innocents, etc.)
but allegorical. There is plenty written about this.

As to the "eclipse" mentioned in LK 23:45--Luke is the only synoptic author
to use the actual word "eclipse". MT and MK say only that the sun was
"darkened" from noon to 3 p.m. (obviously not an eclipse). The received
version of Luke says "tou heliou eklipontos" but according to the footnote
in
my Greek NT there are lots of mss of Luke which only mention "darkening" of
the sun.

Sorry if I have stepped on any literalist toes,

Margaret J. Clarke, OSB
Physics Department
College of St. Scholastica
Duluth MN 55811
mclarke@css.edu

I agree. And you may be aware of Dominic Crossan's book on this issue. It
tries to peel away the myths and get at the real substance. If you're not
aware of it, I can send you the reference.

Van E. Neie ven@physics.purdue.edu
Dept of Physics PH: (765) 494-5511
Purdue University FAX: (765) 494-0706
1396 PHYS Bldg
W. Lafayette, IN 47907-1396

"[Those] who have an excessive faith in their theories or in their ideas
are not only poorly disposed to make discoveries, but they also make very
poor observations."

---Claude Bernard 1865