Re: Prefixes (was Re: Gravity and pi)

----------
paul o johnson wrote
On Wed, 17 Nov
1998,.............................................................

Oh man, Dr. Don, you have made my day. I have wondered for years about
that crazy spelling of spatial, but it never occurred to me to look it
up in my Funk & Wagnals. Damn if you ain't right. My Random House
College dictionary says "also spacial" under spatial and my Webster's
Third Unabridged has it right up front: "spatial or spacial". And they
even give it its own listing: "spacial var of spatial".

And my MS Word spell checker isn't any better than your Word Perfect.
When I fed it spacial it wanted to change it to special or spatial.

My several word and style references don't list either one. I guess it's
a word only a physicist could love.

Power to the Wordsmiths.

The derivation of spatial is directly from the Latin spatium (space). Since
so many of our words have their origin in Latin, it really isn't just a
"word only a physicist could love".
Brian McInnes