NASA TECHNOLOGY HELPS SMITHSONIAN PRESERVE THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER

Here's an item that brought back some memories. Perhaps one of you list
members can give me some feedback?

During the 1950's, I read several news reports regarding US Air Force
attempts to experiment with infra-red cameras. Researchers reported that
after imaging a parking lot in infra-red, they could make out cars that had
left the lot as much as 30 minutes before the image was started. Images were
clear enough to make out a licence plate number. The articles suggested that
research might let us look into the "past". Articles were in the German
magazine "Der Stern". I have not heard anything else about this since that time.

Thanks,
Harald Schenk

RELEASE: 98-201

NASA TECHNOLOGY HELPS SMITHSONIAN
PRESERVE THE STAR-SPANGLED BANNER

A NASA infrared camera developed to explore Mars will
assist the Smithsonian Institution in its three-year project
to preserve the Star-Spangled Banner.

The camera, built at NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center,
Greenbelt, MD, is taking images this week of the historic
flag in infrared light to help preservationists identify
deteriorated and soiled areas not obvious to the human eye.
The camera, called the Acousto-Optic Imaging Spectrometer
(AImS), was developed by Dr. David Glenar at Goddard.

-snip-