Re: Textbooks. Was: FRICTION

Herb Schulz wrote
----------
Howdy,

How about collecting a list, on this list, of the very best Physics books!

I'll add Goldstein's Classical Mechanics, Messiah's Introductory Quantum
Mechanics and Dirac's Quantum Mechanics book.

More?

Now that's a hard invitation to resist.
My favourites include (and I'm sure I'll inadvertently omit a few)

Richmyer and Kennard's Introduction to Modern Physics,
Joos's Theoretical Physics,
Kittle's Introduction to Solid State Physics,
Ditchburn's Optics,
Smith's Optics,
Jenkins and White, Optics,
Harnwell's principles of Electricity and Electomagnetism,
Bleaney and Bleaney's Electricity book,
Griffith's Electricity text,
Zemansky's Thermodynamics,
Callen's Thermodynamics,
and, of course, The Feynman Lectures.

Probably I should add a couple of the original all-purpose introductory
texts say, Resnick and Halliday and Sears and Zemansky.

Brian McInnes