Re: Introducing WORK

Raacc@aol.com wrote:

I too cover momentum before force

If you truly mean momentum before _force_, not _energy_, you might take a look at
"Six Ideas That Shaped Physics" by Thomas Moore (McGraw Hill). The first section
is conservation laws, starting with momentum, then energy, then angular momentum.
Only then are Newton's laws introduced. It is for a calculus based course.

I haven't taught that level since I saw the book, so I can't give a first-hand
account of the text. However, I do like the idea of emphasizing conservation laws
more and force less. I may try it the next time I get the assignment for
introductory physics.

Tim Folkerts