Re: apples and oranges

> Before the introduction of imaginary numbers it was a property of the
operation "square" that the square of any number was positive. The
extension to imaginary numbers abandons this property and proposes
defining NEW entities whose square is negative.

So too, here it is proposed to define NEW entities whose absolute value
is negative.

abs(Q) + abs(1) = 0 is no more perverse than i^2 +1^2 = 0

Whether this leads to anything useful is another question, but it is
conceptually feasible.

I'm out of my mathematical depth with my next comments and hope a more
knowledgible person will chime in to correct any gross inaccuracies that I
may make:

I seem to recall that there are only a finite set algebra's for numbers,
which is why we have real numbers, (obeying one algebra); complex numbers,
obeying the property listed above; quarternions and Octonians, which have
properties I've forgotten. And no more? If this statement is accurate then
it is quite likely that abs(Q) + abs(1) == 0 leads to nothing useful
(unless, it already is part of the quarternion or octonian properties.

in the above, I mean the symbol == to mean "defined to be"

Joel Rauber
rauberj@mg.sdstate.edu