Re: Introducing WORK

Chuck Britton wrote:
I like to think that WORK is a PROCESS of converting Energy
from one form to another. ....

Ludwik Kowalski wqrote
Sure, but work is also a "physical quantity" associated with a process,
not the process itself. Wind interacting with the sail of a moving boat,

for example, is a process, work is one of many physical quantities
associated with it. Other quantities are time, displacement, viscosity,
temperature, buoyant force, reflectivity, etc. The same is true for
other processes, such as magnet working on a toy, you climbing a hill
or her pushing a box.

Having a different name for a process, as opposed to names of
physical quantities, is desirable, in my opinion.

Work is a quantity that is associated with the process; it describes the
energy transferred in the process. It is NOT a quantity that is associated
with the body or the system. It does not exist independently of the process
(as many of the quantities listed - viscosity,temperature, reflectivity -
do).
Brian McInnes