apples and oranges

From: ANLHEP::JLU "JACK L. URETSKY (C)1998; HEP DIVISION, ARGONNE NATIONAL LAB ARGONNE, IL 60439" 2-NOV-1998 13:34:25.10
To: SMTP%"trebor@velocity.net"
CC: JLU
Subj: Re: apples and oranges

Hi Bob-
I don't understand what you mean by "the same question". An operative
condition in my question is "non-trivial" meaning, it's got to be capable
of extension.
While the statement "abs(Q) = -1" is, grammatically, a complete
sentence, I don't see that it goes anywhere except to make the definition
of "abs" logically inconsistent. That is, sum of non-zero abs > 0
(property of "abs"). But with your definition, abs(Q)+abs(1)=0.
The same question about i would have to do with abs(i)=1, which
causes no problems at all.
Regards,
Jack
Jack,
You could ask (as many do) the same question about i = sqr(-1) ; ie
i^2 = -1 .
Just define the quantity Q with:
abs(Q) = -1
Why not?