Re: PHYS-L digest 914

Darwin,
As pointed out both the diameter and circumference cannot both be
integers. This is the basis of the classic unsolved problem of Euclidean
geometry - Squaring the circle, that is construct a square whose area is the
same that of a circle.

gary

Dear listmembers,

Reading Bob Sciamanda's quote, I recall one question I had during
schooldays that I was afraid to ask the teacher about:

We were told that irrational numbers are numbers that cannot be expressed
as a fraction (or quotient of two numbers).

But looking at the circumference formula, pi is the quotient of
circumference and diameter...

Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University
San Antonio, Texas