Re: Friction

At 17:15 10/30/98 -0500, you wrote:
I don't remember specifically addressing the tire-width issue, but I'm
sure we must have had tires of significantly different widths in our
study. If I am to believe our research, and vehicle weight and tire
pressure being the same, a wider tire should produce a contact area having
a different *shape* but no difference in *magnitude*. Or am I missing
something important here???

Best wishes,
Larry Cartwright

Racing cars fitted progressively wider tires to absorb increasing
propulsion power. The transmission then needed to be progressively beefed up.
The rubber on track interface is not a good illustration of the physics
friction rule. One may consider that a soft rubber which conforms to a
corrugated road surface is subject to a macroscopic shearing force which
can sustain sidewards accelerations of 1.3 g or so.

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK