Re: Solution to a problem!!

All the proposed solutions I have seen seem to assume that the solution path
is a straight line. You aim the boat and maintain your heading. This may be so
but it needs proving.

I propose that you don't make any assumptions about the solution path. The
branch of mathematics where the unknown quantity is a function rather then
a number is the calculus of variations. I've been away from this discipline
long enough that it would take me quite a while to get up to speed,
but I would like to hear whether this is a reasonable approach.

A good problem.

Bob Blumenthal