Re:apples and oranges

Exellent observations, Larry, at last this thread is getting down to
basics. I could certainly multiply my blood count times the number of
hairs on my head and call it the "Simanek constant". The constant would be
a well-defined physical quantity, with units, dimensions, etc. But is it
meaningful in science? One can't know until one finds and verifies a law
using that constant. If someone found that the Simanek constant predicted
a person's likelihood of getting gout, to 10% certainty, the constant
would become scientifically meaningful, at least empirically. If someone
found out a mechanism linking those two measurables to the biological
process which cause gout, and that it fit into some larger theory of human
metabolism, it would be meaningful on another level. But I doubt that
either will happen.

-- Donald

Dr. Donald E. Simanek Office: 717-893-2079
Professor of Physics FAX: 717-893-2048
Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, Lock Haven, PA. 17745
dsimanek@eagle.lhup.edu http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek