Re: Solution to a problem!!

Thanks for the correction, Ken.

Assuming the river flows from left to right the boy must aim the
boat at a point A located x km to the left from the girl.

Rather than aiming the boat at a point A located x km to the left of the
girl, I would think that he should aim at some fixed angle D (to be
determined as you describe below), such that he _arrives_ at a point
located x km to one side of the girl. [But perhaps I've misunderstood what
you meant.] If he were to actually head directly toward the point A his
path would be part of a spiral rather than a straight line, right? In
fact, if he always heads towards point A he will eventually reach it, since
his rowing speed is faster than the river speed.