Re: Time

I guess I tend to think of time as the universal
parameter of classical physics. I think Newton understood
that the mechanics he was working out need to be
parameterized in terms of something. He chose time. I am
told that he dwelt at length with the concept: "It flows
like a river without reference to anything external." All
of the solar system measurements, "transits of the sun",
are an attempt (it seems to me) to find Newton's parameter
and put a scale on it. So are the more recent measurements
with "atomic clocks" etc.

Even in relativity we need parameters. Frequently the
"proper time" is used to parameterize certain types of
motion. Time then is parameterized in terms of the proper
time.

I'd like to hear your discussion of this. I'm just musing
here. That is probably obvious. WBN
Barlow Newbolt
Department of Physics and Engineering
Washington and Lee University
Lexington, VA 24450

There is something fascinating about science. One
gets such wholesale returns of conjecture out of
such trifling investments of fact.
Mark Twain
Telephone and Phone Mail: 540-463-8881
Fax: 540-463-8884