Re: Hearing problem

A teacher in high school, I have had several deaf students in my classes.
(My district has an excellent program for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing.)

If your student knows how to use an interpreter well, there shouln't be a
problem. Some students are more savvy than others. Last year I had three
deaf kids on one Chemistry class. One student was excellent at asking
questions and contributing to the class discussion, while another was more
concerned with getting the notes down. I paired a hearing student with
each in lab - some knew sign, some did not. (ASL is a recognized foregin
language requirement).

Now I have one of these kids in my Physics class -- the other two opted
for other sciences. I do modeling physics -- so the interpreter has to
voice his responses to my questions. I do spend more time with him
during/after class to ensure he understands.

Some teachers feel a bit nervous with an observer -- like they have to
make sure *every* word is pure gold. If the interpreter is good, even the
jokes translate.

Learning a few signs goes a long way. Being able to good morning or "how
are you" breaks the ice. I sign myself, so I am conscious to make sure
that I *don't* do it when the interpreter is working -- following two
visual voices is difficult.

Good luck and have fun,

Sherry Brown
browns@eskimo.com