Re: Hearing problem

Rick Tarara asks if any of the remedies discussed in this list-serve to
aid hearing-impaired students could be a strong intrusion on the teaching
style of the instructor, and a detriment to the presentation to the rest
of the class. He expressed concern that distractions to the
'regular' student might result, outweighing the good intentions of
full inclusion of the handicapped.

The presence of a hearing-impaired student in an introductory physics
course I taught some time ago did not result in any problems. The students
accepted the presence of the sign-language interpreter without concern, to
the best of my knowledge. I did not feel my teaching style was
compromised. I felt there was a positive contribution made by the
sign-language interpreter in that the other students become aware that not
all of us have good hearing.

Allen Miller
Syracuse University