Re: Hearing problem

Can anyone give me any insite (off line is fine) to problems a hearing
impaired person might encounter in a physics class? I'm tring to help out a
student who is hearing impaired and struggling in an algebra based intro
physics. He has got a signer in class and a tutor; what else can I do?

RIT is the home to National Technical Institute for the Deaf, so we
interact with a lot of deaf students. The suggestions mentioned by others
are great. Here the student has access to a tutor (sign literate) and to
interpreter and notetaker. All these are paid positions.

Facing the class, writing clear material on the board, writing down the
important material on the board, all these help the deaf student **and**
generally help the hearing student as well.

Deaf students may be a bit more reticent about participating in class, so I
make an extra effort to involve them.

Learn some sign language (assuming your student uses sign). While you may
never be literate enough to hold a conversation, it sends the message that
you care enough to try, and the student is more likely to come after class.
Besdides sign language is a facinating language. Without tone of voice to
indicate sarcasm, excitement, etc., sign has evolved a wonderful alternate
way to do this.

The major complaint about sign language is that the sign for "Physics"
looks incredibly similar to the sign for "difficult".

Dr. Vern Lindberg 716-475-2546
Department of Physics Fax 475-5766
85 Lomb Memorial Drive
Rochester Institute of Technology