Re: Ventilation question

Brother Harris asked about Chemi Lab ventilation.

The Uniform Building Code (UBC) has something useful to say about building
ventilation. It classifies buildings beyond 12th grade and to 12th grade,
those for hazardous purposes and for jails. ( B, E, H & I respectively)

Let's take a look at the class H requirements:
(Sec 905a)
Exterior openings (e.g. openable windows)
with area n.l.t 1/20 of total floor area or
mechanical ventilation min 5 cu ft/min outside air/occupant
total air flow of 15 cu ft/min per occupant

(sec905b)
Workstations for hazardous material...
....emissions shall be confined to these areas
Refer to Mechanical code, Fire code...

A manual shutoff control for ventilation required here
shall be provided outside the room adjacent to principal access door.

....and so on.

Specifying requirements traceable to this code ought to keep Robert's
principal out of trouble, I'd say.

Brian Whatcott
ref: UBC (1988) ISSN 0896-9655