RE: Physics Laboratory Design

Jerry,
It sounds like an interesting idea and if I am ever up your way,
I would like to stop by and observe this. However, I hesitate to throw
students into a design course without some experience first. Where I
went to school (University of Rochester) and where I am now (University
of Tennessee), the introductory labs were recipe (or scripted) labs,
while the upper level labs were design labs. I teach lab for the
physics majors and try to point out the overall common elements of the
labs, i.e. calibration measurements, etc. Hopefully they will learn
these things and then be able to recognize the need for them later.
I also believe what you are doing is similar with what I do with
one of my labs, that is pose questions that can only be answered by the
students figuring out what measurements and calculations to do. I do it
toward the end of the semester though.
If you are teaching engineering, then you may also want to try
to teach with group projects. I have the physics majors form
mini-collaborations that work almost like the real ones do. Group work
is important in industry (as seen in Dilbert cartoons). I hope to
submit a paper to the Physics Teacher in Spring on it, but the graduate
work is keeping me pretty busy (damn thesis). 8-)
Just some random thoughts and my $0.02. Keep up the good work
and make those engineers eanr the grade like the money they will when
they graduate.

Sam Held