Re: Re:IONS/metal pedagogy

-----Original Message-----
From: Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskiL@Mail.Montclair.edu>
To: phys-L@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-L@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Sunday, October 11, 1998 5:28 PM
Subject: Re:IONS/metal pedagogy

The specification "due to the rest of the universe", which appears
in two Bob's messages, is not clear to me. What is its significance?
My understanding of the difference between (1/2)*sigma/epsilon and
(1)*sigma/epsilon has nothing to do with the "rest of the universe",
only with total charges on the objects under consideration. In the first
place the field due to sigmas exists on both sides of the surface while
in the second case the field of sigmas exists on one side only. Am I
missing something more significant to our debate?
Ludwik Kowalski

Hi Ludwig,
In case 1 (field on both sides) you are calculating the field ONLY due to
a single sheet of charge; put another way, the single sheet of charge is
your gedanken universe.
In case 2 (field zero on one side) you are calculating the field due to
the entire real universe - that's why the field is presumed zero inside
the conductor; it is only the net field due to EVERYTHING that can be
presumed to be zero inside the conductor.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)
trebor@velocity.net