Re: B battery

From pwz@cw-f1.umd.umich.edu Tue Oct 13 12:21:47 1998
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 12:21:43 -0400 (EDT)
From: Paul Zitzewitz <pwz@cw-f1.umd.umich.edu>
To: Clarence Bennett <bennett@OAKLAND.EDU>
Subject: Re: B battery

Clarence,
I'm off campus and can't reply to the list serve, but here is the answer
to the C battery problem.

In the real early days, before indirectly-heated cathodes, the filament
reference voltage was fixed. It is necessary to bias the grid negative
with respect to the filament. Small batteries were used because there
was no current drain. I actually saw such batteries on a battery-powered
portable radio my grandmother had.

When the indirectly-heated cathode was developed, the cathode could be
biased independently of the filament, now called the heater. The cathode
resistor was then used so that the cathode current could establish a
potential difference between the cathode and ground. Then the grid could
be left at the ground potential.

Paul (ex K9EXL from the 50s)

By the way, battery radios were far from being portable for many years.

Clarence Bennett
Oakland University
Rochester, Michigan
248 370 3418