Re: IONS/metal pedagogy

Sorry, I left off a word, the polarization notion is model dependent...it
is a different sort of thing than ideas about work function.

On Mon, 12 Oct
1998, Joseph Bellina wrote:

No I don't think I do, but I have to read the work function claims. The
work function is a thermodynamic electrochemical potential that has to do
with the energy necessary to get an electron from inside the material to
outside. It really is not about extra charges on the surface, whereas
the polarization arguements are about the force that any charged particle
would experience when it is within a few Angstroms of the surface. That
includes an electron from the interior which is emitted in some manner
(photoemission, field emission, thermionic emission, etc) from the
solid.
The notion of work function, being thermodynamic, is model independent,
whereas the polarization notion is.
I would claim that the polarization arguement is the only operative one.

cheers

joe

On