Re: IONS/metal pedagogy

On 1/12/98 Steven T. Ratliff asked

Would everyone agree that we have right now two possible solutions
to the problem:
(a) use of the work function
(b) polarization arguments.

If we accept (b) then (a) can be explained in terms of it. The two
unresolved
issues are:

c) Is the arsenal of classical physics sufficient to explain (a)? What
is the nature
of the force against which work must be done to extract electrons?
d) "Any scheme to make a stable system out of only Coulomb forces
must answer to Earnshaw" (Bob Sciamanda).