Re: Heating tape

At 16:13 10/10/98 -0400, Herb Gottlieb wrote:

...If a 10 cm specimen is heated slowly and
uniformly from room temperature to 30 degrees above room
temperature, there should be no problem counting the
45 fringes that shift during the heating process.

Using copper heat pipe sounds interesting. Any idea of the
cost of a 20 cm length?? Where can such a sample be obtained??

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where our local plumbing stores carry heat tapes)

I had it in mind that Herb's local plumbing stores carry
copper pipe and end caps and a compression tee for a tube to a
vaccuum pump. I imagine a wick could be provided from any material
currently at hand, and a little distilled water would complete
the concoction.

I will freely admit however, that my supposition that a heat pipe
is easily manufactured is just that; a supposition.

I don't see how 10 cm of copper raised 30K provides 45 fringe
changes from the double traverse of an M-M interferometer arm...

brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK