Re: Radius of the earth

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998 KUGELGEN@aol.com wrote:

Hello all,

Can anyone out there remember who first measured the radius of the earth?
An Egyptian, a Greek? What was his/her name?
(I'm working with a teacher in another city (due north), measuring solar
angles
and calculating the Earth's radius)

If the answer does not appear on the list, I'll post it for those who might be
interested.

Thanks in advance,

Owen

As I recall it was Eratosthenes (Greek, circa 275-195 b.c.). Don't know
the date when these measurement attempts were first tried.

-Leslie

Leslie F. Brown, Physics & Astronomy
Box 5361, Connecticut College e-mail:lfbro@conncoll.edu
New London, CT 06320 lfbrown@blazar.physics.conncoll.edu