Re: IONS in metals

James Mclean wrote:

Ludwik Kowalski wrote:

Bob Sciamanda wrote:

Forces are human inventions which help us model our
observations. However, quantum mechanical models are
not always simply understandable in terms of this concept.

As far as I remember, the central concept of QM is potential, V.
We must specify a potential function to write down the
Schroedinger equations for specific problems, for example,
Coulomb's potential in the case of the single hydrogen atom.
What prevents me from using F=-grad(V) and to think that
there is a force behind any smooth potential function?

I think what Bob was emphasizing is that in QM, the Pauli exclusion
principle "pushes things around", but is not describable as a force.
That's not to say that -grad(V) isn't important or sensable; it's just
that it is no longer the whole story.

--
--James McLean
jmclean@chem.ucsd.edu

I think that the situation is a little worse than that. Ehrenfest's
Theorem states that d<p>/dt = - <grad V>, which is as close as you get
to F=ma in the Schroedinger Equation. Since [x,p]<>0, you can't even
define a p(x) in order to construct a point-by-point analogy to Newton's
Second Law. So you can define the force as F = - grad V, but you don't
have an equation to put it into. When we talk about forces in Quantum
Mechanics we are talking in metaphors and/or trying to understand
semiclassical limits. Of course, talking that way can be very helpful
to your intuition.

You can go to momentum space so that dp/dt is well defined, but then you
lose V(x). You can't win, except in the semiclassical limit.
--
Maurice Barnhill, mvb@udel.edu
http://www.physics.udel.edu/~barnhill/