Re: Hurricane

Hello, all:
Here's another take on the hurricane issue. (Also admitting I'm well
outside my realm...) It seems to me we should view the climate as a heat
engine. Energy is supplied (in the form of evaporating water) in places
where it's hot, and transported to places where it's cooler (in the form
of rain...) In doing so, work is generated, and it's that work that
knocks down buildings, etc. This seems similar to a power plant boiling
water, transporting the energy to someplace cooler to condense, and
getting work out in the process. Thus, the hurricane is a manifestation
of the Second Law.

Now (if that model's correct...) there are some questions about what
would happen if climate warms up. Will the sinks move further north, so
that they stay at the same temperature; or will they stay in the same
location? The question is relevant both because it affects the
distribution of hurricane landfalls and because the temperatures of the
sources and sinks would affect the Carnot efficiency. To the extent that
this admittedly zero-order analysis represents a new application of the
Carnot cycle, it could form a nice illustration as I gear up for my
Second Law lectures in physical chemistry.

Since I'd like to have my facts straight before I write that lecture,
reactions would be appreciated, either on the list or directly.

Thanks,

David.

--
Dr. David W. Steyert steyert_dw@mercer.edu