Re: Hurricane

At 09:17 AM 10/5/98 -0400, you wrote:
Ok, well I did ask for a simple explanation but now I'd like to know more.
How the heck does a huricane change random thermal motion into 150mph
winds? This is a neat trick (and at first glance would appear to contradict
the second law of thermo...).

kyle,
Try the conservation of angular momentum and the coriolis force. It
is the same thing that makes all northern hemisphere low pressures regions
rotate the same way. A hurricane is just thermally driven to a greater extream.
Hope this helps.

Gary

Gary Karshner

St. Mary's University