RE: When and How Strong?

At 22:46 10/3/98 CST6CDT5, Sue Willis wrote:
... Since the Coulomb
repulsion would be expected to blow the nucleus apart, it was
obvious that there must be some other, much stronger force,
that was holding it together. It is stronger than the E-M force
by a factor of alpha (the fine structure constant), or 1/137;
I don't know who first called it the strong force. The weak force
is called weak because it *is* weak; on the same scale it has a
relative strength of about 10^(-13). (The strengths of the
interactions vary with energy, in general; these comparisons are
for interactions at zero energy. The weak force, in particular,
is much stronger at masses larger than the W and Z masses).

Sue Willis

Suzanne here describes force ratios between em and strong force.
I read that there are particles insensitive to the strong force -
to these, I suppose the strong force would be no force: this is
the group of leptons which includes the electron, muon, tau, their
neutrinos and all of their antiparticles (12 in all)

She mentions energy - and this seems to be related to the quantum
field idea of the force exchange carrier. If there is a quantum
field whose carriers are available in discrete quantized sizes,
we have a way of explaining the range of forces.

It is Yukawa's proposition that we can explain the range of force
carriers by means of their energy or mass.
I take it that this is an implication of the idea that mass or energy,
and range or velocity or lifetime are connected for hypothetical
particles like these force carriers.

The exchange carrier of em, the
photon is 'massless' and so has infinite range.

The moderately heavy meson limits the range of the strong nuclear force.

The exchange carrier of the weak force is described as the intermediate
(or mediating) vector (or unit) boson, a creation of Yukawa's.
The weak nuclear force has an even shorter range than the others, so its
carrier, or intermediate vector boson (of three kinds, W+, W-, and Zero)
is a heavier particle type.

(Though I am using an elementary article of Rubbia's as a source, I see
that I am close to the vortex where conceptual models smear and simple
explanations no longer suffice!)

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK