Re: Back on Line? (Hurricane)

On Wed, 30 Sep 1998 07:39:29 -0400 kyle forinash <forinas@indiana.edu>
writes:
As long we are on the subject of hurricanes- can anyone give a short
explanation of how hurricanes come to be, in particular, why do they
gain energy while over water (but lose energy over land)?

Over water, the warm winds pick up the fast moving (energetic) water
molecules
that have escaped from the surface by evaporation.

Over land, the winds are slowed by friction with the surface.

Herb Gottlieb from New York City
(Where we never have hurricanes but everyone is always in a hurry)