Re: Computer simulations : Note: This post is long, rambling and

Bill Allsopp adds:

Oh, my! This is one of the most unarguable statements I have ever seen.
Fortunately or unfortunately depending on your point of view, during the
past two years we have focused in on the group that we inadvertently
discovered were our best projecteers, regardless of which grade they
were in. These are the kids who have been labeled as having ADD.

This is a very interesting statement that resonants with a book I
just finished by the renegade child psychologist John Rosemund. He
basically claims 90% of ADD diagnosis have no basis. Instead such
children are really exhibiting behavior that is a result of misguided
discipline and direction. Given proper direction and *responsibility* for
their work, he claims that most ADD cases suddenly are cured. Your
experience seems to support his claim.

We are even seeing this at the college level now as these students
who have been labled with learning disorders enroll. Some are legitimate.
However, let me give an example of what Rosemund is talking about. We
have a major who we were informed by the college is ADD. He knew
it and acted accordingly. This past year we got the student involved in
research and gave the student responsibility for some major redesign of
the apparatus. The student has blossomed; not only in lab, but it has
carried over to the courses this fall also. The student no longer makes
special requests about in class note taking or special needs on exams,
plus the grades are up. The ADD suddenly disappeared.

Mike Monce
Connecticut College