The delightful English system of measurments

This post is addressed to the members of the list who claim citizenship
in the United States and refers back to a posting by Chuck Britton.

Gentlemen:

As you men of science are aware, there is usually a proponent for almost
any crazy idea that can be dreamed up.

Over forty years ago, while studying Electrical Engineering at our
state's university, I was trained in the wonderful English system of
measurements. I considered it quaint at that time and ten years later I
raged strongly for conversion to the Metric system.

It is strange how the world evolves and how people seem to change and
become philosophical in their old age.

There is no question that the efficiency and efficacy of the metric
system is vastly superior. I cannot argue from a point of strength in
this matter.

I have, however, reversed my line of thinking again.

In a world with McDonalds and Walmarts in every village. Where
executives in suits and ties are now found in every country of the
world. Where the colorful spoken dialects and speech patterns that
denote uniqueness and hint of something special, are fast fading into
the mid west sound of the TV announcers. Where the spread of sameness
is graying emerging populations, and where the monuments of efficiency
and productivity are turning people into work-a-holics just so that they
can survive, I sense a need for retaining shreds of our culture. Of
venerating the uniqueness that is ours alone. Of preserving a working
model of a time of industry where these very different terms produced a
very different feel for invention.

The English system is definitely quaint, may be obsolete, but it is
filled with meaning, color and historical relevance. Who else but
Americans would hang onto a measuring system based on the length of the
foot of a long dead English king. The most important thought of all is
that this unique and priceless heritage is all ours. As strange as it
may seem to you, I am proud to hold up our system of measurements and
say loudly, this is our way, and I love it for its difference.

From your lofty vantage point you may not see the relevance of being
unique, but I will guarantee, as you gain the perspective of age, you
will in all likelihood wish that you had not been quite so quick to
throw the last generations costumes into the trash bin of history.

I now believe that the cost in lost efficiency, the slightly increased
difficulty in communicating with the rest of the world, or the necessity
of having two sets of socket wrenches in your toolbox, is an
infinitesimally small price to pay if sameness is the alternative.

Thank you for the soap box!

Bill Allsopp From a little town in Arkansas

P.S. There is a preheated bucket of tar waiting outside of my back
door, so you don't have to bring your own, however, I am a little short
on feathers.