Re: Computer Skills

Hi All,
I would offer an introductory computer class in the freshman
year through the Computer Science Department with specific
emphasis on the local systems. (VAX, and UNIX at UOP) I would then
require a programming type class, again with the Computer Science Department,
in the Sophomore year prior to intensive numerical analysis. The Language
used is usually determined by the computer science department.
Electronics fits nicely between Solid state, and an Advanced Lab class.

Why? you may ask:
One of the things that originally drew me to Physics is the depth and
breadth of the subject. In addition to being excellent "real world" skills,
you develop tools for later classes and troubleshooting/problem solving
skills. It also increases the exposure of the student the kinds of people
they will encounter as future colleagues. I would not substitute these for
core courses, but rather make part of the required electives section.
This would make the courses negotiable for those that want to develop
a different emphasis.

Kyle Forinash asked:
... Which topics and skills definitively separate us physicists from
chemists, computer scientists or electrical engineers?
An excellent question.

Certainly the discipline lines are somewhat blurred in our modern world,
but I believe it is our ability to blend bits and pieces of these other
subjects
into a coherent world view.
My two cents,
Robert

I agree with most of the above, but I need to point out
that even the nuts and bolts of hooking together various
complex electronic gadgets--computers, a to d converters,
and transducers of various kinds--can be useful when it
comes time to do a measurement. Experiments are more and
more automated today which is both a blessing and a curse.
Instruments can record data for long periods of time with
little problems, but the data-recording and
instrument-managing instruments must be maintained. And
it is important for the experimenter to know what the
instruments are doing for him!