Putt-putt boats

At 6:11 PM -0500 9/17/98, brian whatcott wrote:
Before this thread now promptly dies, I want to recall for you a little
power boat model I was given as a child. This has only a tenuous relation
to a blowing mine shaft. Now if it had been a panting mine shaft!

The propulsion was straight forward. A loop of small bore copper tube
was heated by an alcohol burner, and the two ends of the tubing were led
out of the transom. With no other mechanical parts, it would put-put-put
through the water quite convincingly.
It seems the two water columns exited more promptly to the rear than they
reentered.

Brian
brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
Altus OK

These putt-putt boats still LIVE! American Science & Surplus is
offering them for ~$11.

(I'm still putting my $ on the prairie dog tunnels over the heat-source idea.
But I am notoriously bad at the betting games.)

britton@odie.ncssm.edu you have forgotten everything
(919) 286-3366 x224 Albert Einstein, 1936