Re: Essential (was Computer) Skills

James Mclean wrote:
Your admin. may constrain your particular case, but in general I am
wondering if the essential skills for a practicing physicist are
necessarily the same as essential degree requirements. How many physics BS
recipients go on to be physicists? (Not a rhetorical question -- I really
don't know.) Perhaps replies to this thread might include this
distinction, where it seems appropriate...

Yes it is an important distinction. Has anybody read Preparing
Physicists for Work btw? ( http://www.aip.org/careers/prepare.htm ) Not
that I have, but I'd be curious what it has to say.

In 1995-96, 1,438 PhDs were granted by US physics departments. In this
time there were approximately 200 faculty hired by PhD granting
institutions. For more stats have a look at
http://www.aps.org/jobs/index.html

Any which way you put it together, the fact is that the average member
of phys-l is by no means in a job typical of a recent Physics graduate.

If I was to put together a wish list of things that I should have
studied given where I've drifted over the years it would include project
management, accounting, technical writing, and presentations.

The problem is that requiring a physics student to take all the external
courses that will assist them in their career would leave them with no
room to study physics.

I think that computer skills are a pretty universally required skill for
practising physicists these days, and has been pointed out by others
they provide the student with a tool that can enrich their study of
physics. Whether or not programming classes are required of physics
students, their advisors should be impressing on them the importance of
taking some.

Doug Craigen "Technology with purpose"
http://www.dctech.com