Re: air blowing out of an old mine

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998, Herbert H Gottlieb wrote:

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:28:48 -0600 (MDT) crawford j maccallum
<mccallum@unm.edu> writes:
Near my brother's house in Tonopah, NV, is an entrance to an old mine
from which a strong stream of air exits. But the fact is it blows out
all the time!

circulation must result from convection currents within the mine.
These could be caused by internal heating sources such as nearby
magma pools or radioactive sources in the process of decay. Is it
possible to enter the mine and track down the origin of the heat source?

I'm sure it's sealed off to prevent injuries and lawsuits. Could it just
be that lower portions are shallower and warmed more by the sun? Crawford