Re: Computer Skills

In my view, the answer is no. To demand programming skills for a
bachelor's degree in physics is too rigid a position. Programming is not
physics.

Allen Miller
Syracuse University

On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Harold Hart wrote:

Our physics department is currently working on a statement describing the
knowledge and skills we think a student should possess in the area of computer
applications when he/she completes a B.S. degree in physics.

I'd like to know what others think about this. Should we expect our students to
know how to program in certain computer languages and, if so, which languages
(C, C++, FORTRAN, BASIC, PASCAL, etc.)? Should they be expected to be familiar
with mathematical processing programs such as MATHEMATICA and MAPLE? Should they
be skilled in the use of spreadsheets and graphing programs? Should they be
familiar with the use of computers in the laboratory?

If some of these skills are not taught in our physics courses, do we expect our
students to take courses in other departments? Or do we expect them to learn
these skills on their own?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Harold Hart
Physics Department