Re: air blowing out of an old mine

The Quincy mine at Hancock in Michigan's copper country has a grated
opening (one of many) at the surface out of which a flow of cool air
moves. This air flows day and night, year round ( or at least it has
everytime that I have been there) The air coming out is about 50 degrees
( educated guess ) but the old timers say that the temperature at the
bottom of the mine ( it is extremely deep) is almost too hot for comfort.
Maybe the hot air from the bottom cools as it rises and expands but that
doesn't explain why it would blow straight up into the 90 degree air of a
hot summer day. This is just an observation that I have made for which I
have no definitive explaination

Dave Bone "Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend
Inside of a dog it is too dark to read"-Groucho