Re: BOOKS IN PHYSICS

On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 13:57:54 -0400 Normand Beaudoin
<Normand_Beaudoin@UQTR.UQuebec.CA> writes:

We plan to produce a series of books about different topics in
physics:
* About $15 to $20 US ($20 to $30 CAN) for 100 to 150 pages or more.

The cost comes to $.10 - $.20 per page. This is about the same (or
higher)
cost than that of a traditional hard covered, perfect bound, book. How
do you justify such a high cost??

* Beginning at an elementary level through high level (sometimes,
tomes will be added depending on the matter)

*** But THE MOST IMPORTANT is the pedagogical aspect of these books.
Briefly! As many (fortunately not all) of presently available books
are of the type "after the formula", our authors are deeply involved in
the
"BEFORE the formula" aspect. UNDERSTANDING is the main concern of these
books.

How do do they compare with Hewitt's "Conceptual Physics" books ?

Suppose one of these book is already available and that you can order
it directly by internet:
1) Would you order it? YES / NO

I would order it for personal use only if it is sent on 30 day approval.
I would not order it for student classes until there had been
sufficient time to evaluate the approval copy or the instructor's
desk copy that is furnished by the publisher.
In this case, it is important to withold judgement until the material has

been fully evaluated. No one has been successful yet in treating physics
topics that can range from elementary to highly advanced without
losing many readers in the process. Although the Scientific American
magazine attempts to do this, they are not always successful.
You might have been able to do it with superior authors and
editors..... but I remain to be convinced.

2) About how many people around you would order it? _________
It "depends....."
Feel free to add comments!

Would you please respond directly at the following email address and
include the words "BOOKS IN PHYSICS" in the Subject line.

Normand_Beaudoin@uqtr.uquebec.ca

THANK YOU VERY MUCH !