From: Bob Sciamanda <trebor@velocity.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Monday, September 14, 1998 11:25 AM
Subject: Re: Galileo's Freefall Experiment

On third thought, there is a valid re-wording of Galileo's argument which
is valid and has useful content:
If different objects accelerate at different rates in a given force
field, then a "weird" conceptual model would be required to describe the
acceleration produced on an object by this field as a universal monotonic
function of only a single extensive (additive) property (eg. mass) of the
object .

a1 = f (m1); a2 = f(m2); then it is required that if 1 and 2 are
combined => a12 = f(m1+m2)

For simplicity, take all quantities as only positive and let f(x) be a
decreasing function of x.

Now let m1 >m2 (without loss of generality); then we have: a1 < a2 <
a12.

There is nothing wrong with this (nature can do what it likes) but
CONCEPTUALLY, we would like to describe the combined situation as body 1
slowing down body 2 and body 2 speeding up body 1, so that we would
expect: a1 < a12 < a2.

So the model is weird conceptually. Newton's model by-passes the original
restriction by allowing a (in a given force field) to be a function of
two parameters: charge (electric, gravitational, etc) and mass. It is
then the RATIO of these two parameters which controls the acceleration.

So, Galileo is saying that only a weird model can account for different
objects having different accelerations (in a given field on the basis of
the difference in MASS ALONE.

-Bob

Bob Sciamanda
Physics, Edinboro Univ of PA (ret)