Re: Uncertainty principle

Hi all-
This deals with two different unrelated topics.
1. Anyone teaching QM at any level should see the News and Views article
by Peter Knight, "Where the Weirdness Comes from" in Nature for 3 Sept
1998, p. 12. Knight discusses an experimental determination that
Heisenberg's explanation of measurement disturbances is incorrect. That
is, in the two slit experiment, it is not the momentum kick from
observing which path was followed by a particle that destroys the
interference pattern. The correct view is given by Schroedinger's
entangled state approach.

Regards,
Jack

I'm glad Jack raised this note since there seems to be some
controversy over the interpretation of these experiments. Daniel Walls at
the University of Auckland argues in favor of conventional Heisenberg
interpretation for the destruction of the interference pattern in the
double slit pattern. For example, from the abstract of a recent paper
[Phys. Rev. A, Vol. 56, 55 (1997)], we find:

A ``which-path'' (welcher Weg) measurement necessarily destroys the

fringes in a double-slit interference experiment. We show that in all
instances one may attribute this destruction to a disturbance of the
particle's momentum by an amount equal to at least pi (h-dash-bar)/2d,
where d is the slit separation, in accordance with the uncertainty
principle. However, this momentum transfer need not be local; that is,
it need not act at either of the slits through which the particle

passes. For well-known welcher Weg measurements such as Einstein's
recoiling slit and Feynman's light microscope, the disturbance can be
understood in terms of random classical momentum kicks that act
locally. In some recent proposals, including that by Scully,
Englert,
and Walther [Nature (London) 351, 111 (1991)], the momentum
transfer is
of a peculiarly quantum, nonlocal nature. In this paper we introduce a
formalism based on the Wigner function, as this describes both the
local
and nonlocal momentum transfer caused by any welcher Weg
measurement. We show that for some examples, such as that of Scully,
Englert, and Walther, there is no momentum disturbance at the slits
even
though the nonlocal momentum disturbance is sufficient to destroy the
interference pattern. Finally, we discuss the experimental
signatures of
nonlocal versus local momentum transfer and demonstrate a strong
similarity to the nonlocality of the Aharonov-Bohm effect.

I've wondered about this for some time after hearing about it, but haven't
had time to pursue it. Does the system in this new experiment really
receive a momentum kick or is it too small to account for the effect as
claimed by the authors? Does the Heisenberg interpretation really fail
here?

Dennis

Dennis

* Dennis Krause mailto:kraused@wabash.edu *
* Department of Physics Phone: (765) 361-6181 *
* Wabash College Fax: (765) 361-6149 *
* Crawfordsville, IN 47933 *
* http://www.wabash.edu/depart/physics/krause.htm *