Re: Sparks (and ions)

I agree with James, there seems to be no clear path that an ion can
follow from foot to finger. The ion might diffuse through some membranes,
but that would take a long time (although its also clear that I originally
used electron flow far too loosely).

However, assuming that the ions formed on your foot are trapped in that
region, could some inductive/polarization effect through each region of the
body due to the rearrangement of that region's ions form rather quickly and
give your finger an opposite charge without there being a trans-body ion
flow?

Ed Schweber

I think that changes in the electric field can propagate quickly even when
charge carrying particles only move short distances. This is the same as
electrons in a wire moving short distances while the E field propogates
to a great distance (infinity) at near c; or air molecules moving very
short distances individually while sound propagates much farther.
The net effect travels the distance, individual particles do not.

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Assistant Professor of Physics and Astronomy, Northern AZ Univ
danmac@nau.edu http://www.phy.nau.edu/~danmac