Near earth asteroids...

Greetings everyone. Hopefully everyone is off to a good start in
your schools. I was wondering if someone could help me out. I've been
trying to find data about the "near earth asteroid" scare sometime
either in Feb. or March of 1998. I know how much they were off by, but
what I'm trying to find is how far away was the asteroid from the earth
when they first discovered it. If anyone knows, could you please let me
know. All of the articles I've read just tells how close it will pass.

Thanks,
Dwight S.
Ashland, OH