From: brian whatcott <inet@intellisys.net>
To: phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu <phys-l@atlantis.uwf.edu>
Date: Thursday, August 20, 1998 8:13 AM
Subject: Re: MRI and gadolinium

. . .
The excellent reference referring to a UFlorida online lecture effort
mentioned by Bob Sciamanda, mentions ( if you have enough patience) that
Gadolinium
compounds are used as opacification agents or "contrast agents" in MR
imaging.
Depending on the target organ, they may be injected.
(As a Canadian surgeon proactising here confided to me - there is a U.S
love affair with injections - where a broad band antibiotic might
elsewhere
be administered in oral form, here it is de rigeur to provide it
intra-muscularly.
Patients essentially demand it. The therapeutic effects begin, after
all,
in 3 minutes, rather than 30 minutes.
The sharp however, has to be charged for and disposed of...)

Sincerely
Brian Whatcott Altus OK