Bone healer...

Greetings everyone. Hopefully all of you are enjoying your
summer. As some of you are aware, the summer is winding down and school
is getting ready to start. One day, I saw one of my students, during
cheerleading practice, wearing a strange contraption on her shin. The
contraption is somewhat circular shaped, but molded to the front of her
shin. From the thing on her leg, a wire runs out from the top of it into
a small box which she wears around her waist. I asked what was wrong with
her leg and she has a stress fracture on her shin. The device is supposed
speed up her recovery by sending electromagentic waves into her bone and
surrounding tissue to help heal her bones. The doctor told her that the
brain gives off em wave signals to the body which tells the body to start
healing that area. Her brain wasn't doing that, so this device mimics
that action to get the body to respond. My first thought was some sort of
fancy heating pad.
I had her take off the device and felt the leg part of it and felt
absolutely no heat. I read the box part to see if there was anything
printed on it as to the frequency or some other clue, but none. After a
little more investigating, I couldn't find any indication as to what
exactly it is doing.
My current thoughts is that the device is along the same lines as
magnetic or copper necklaces or bracelets, touch therapy, and some other
forms of "alternative" treatments. I didn't tell my student what I
thought, but I'd like to know just in case.
So if anyone has any idea what this is, I'd appreciate any
information.

Thanks,
Dwight
Ashland, OH