Re: Nitpicking: gravity is not a force???

At 16:31 8/8/98 -0300, Jorge Trench wrote:
...These forces spread
out as fields (Forces per unit "mass"), To sense such" fields of forces"
you need a test "mass", or charge, or dipole, or... or whatever equivalent
particular "mass" with the same specs. like the one you assume generates
the field....
Jorge A. Trench

Jorge makes a point that also occured to me:
if one dislikes the "force" due to gravity, one can perhaps be more
comfortable with a "specific force" due to gravity, where "specific"
has its usual physical connotation, that is, "per unit mass"
A force per unit mass is evidently describable in units of acceleration
- and we all live happily ever after?...

Brian Whatcott Altus OK